Abdirahman Omar Osman (Eng. Yarisow), Minister of Information, Culture & Tourism of the Federal Republic of Somalia today briefed participants of the Comprehensive Approach to Security (CAS) Executive Meeting on the progress of Strand 4, Preventing & Countering Violent Extremism (P.CVE) and stated the following:
Dear PM, Excellences, Ladies and gentlemen,
The objective of strand 4 Prevention and Countering of Violent Extremism is to reach an end state where conflicts are addressed politically as opposed to through violence. This includes support to operationalize the Somali National Strategy and Action Plan and facilitate the implementation of the national Strategy by the federal member states and the relevant line ministries in consultation with civil society, private sector and the diaspora. This will include support to challenge extremist ideology being propagated through private education, religious networks and social media; disengagement and reintegration of AS fighters; political engagement with those who support extremist groups; and support for intra-Somali reconciliation and conflict resolution.
It will ensure that all relevant stakeholders will have identified PCVE coordinators and concrete actions that each stakeholder will develop within their respective mandates. It will also ensure embedding of the National Strategy into a legal framework and developing concrete PCVE specific interventions to be implemented.
Let me update you on the progress of Strand 4, Preventing & Countering Violent Extremism (P/CVE):
• We had a very productive launch of Strand 4 on 7 October 2017, and I would like to thank my co-chair Andreas von Uexkull, the Swedish Ambassador to Somalia for accepting to co-chair this important strand, a strand that by all intend and purpose is to counter the conveyor belt feeding extremist groups in Somalia.
• On 7th October 2017, we the co-chairs signed Strand 4 terms of reference that can guide us through the implementation process. We also agreed to devise an action plan in order to implement the National Comprehensive Strategy for Preventing & Countering Violent Extremism (P/CVE).
• All relevant ministries at the FGS, the OPM, OoP and FMS and the Director of Defectors Program identified focal points since P/CVE is a cross cutting issue.
• Our next step is to hold a technical working group on the 13th November 2017, which we aim to address a number of issues including finalization of technical working group composition, review of the comprehensive national strategy for preventing and countering violent extremism (P/CVE).
• On the 15th November, we bring all focal persons and other stakeholders from the International Community together to further discuss the National Strategy.
• On the 28th November, we will have a political level meeting to endorse the Strategy. To finalize localized action plans so that before 4 December meeting Strand 4 will present a comprehensive action plan
• Strategic Communications is essential component on P/CVE (Strand 4) – Media consultation with regions – the focus will be to have strategic communications campaign surrounding military operations – So public are well informed of the progress on security.I thank you.